If you decide to take your vehicle to the insurance company "Preferred" DRP shop,
ask them these important questions before proceeding with the repair.
Are you repairing the vehicle for me, or the insurance company?
Are you going to use counterfeit parts on my vehicle?
Are you going to repair parts that should be replaced?
Are you going to cut corners on this repair to save the insurance company money, in return for them sending you more work?
Are you going to inform me about what the insurance company owes me on diminished value?
Are you going to inform me of my right to use the appraisal clause while negotiating?
Getting Your Vehicle Repaired
Don't let the insurance company dictate the terms of your vehicle repair. It's your vehicle. It's your choice! You make the decisions!
If the vehicle is drivable, we recommend you choose a repair facility you are comfortable with. Notify the responsible insurance company, tell them where you will be getting the vehicle repaired. A reputable shop will handle the repair process for you and negotiate the claim with the insurance company.
NOTE: You are not required to get more than one estimate for your vehicle. That estimate should be from the shop of your choice. If the insurance company writes their own estimate for the vehicle, take this estimate and the vehicle to the shop of your choice. That shop will handle any claims negotiations with the insurance company. They will make sure the vehicle is repaired properly, and the insurance pays everything they owe.
If the vehicle is not drivable, chances are it will be towed from the scene by a local towing service approved by law enforcement. They are required to take it to a secure storage facility. THAT IS THE SAFEST PLACE FOR YOUR VEHICLE! LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE IN THIS STORAGE FACILITY UNTIL YOU HAVE SELECTED YOUR PREFERRED REPAIR FACILITY, OR IN THE CASE OF A TOTAL LOSS, DO NOT LET THE INSURANCE COMPANY MOVE YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL YOU HAVE REACHED A REASONABLE SETTLEMENT. INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE OFFERING 20-30% LESS THAN WHAT THEY RIGHTFULLY OWE YOU IN MOST CASES.
Things To Do After An Accident
If you've been involved in an accident:
1. Check to see if anyone is injured.
2. Contact the local police department.
3. Keep calm and don't panic.
4. Find a quality repair facility you can trust. If you don't know of one, ask your family, co-workers, and friends. If they don't know one, call your local dealer for a recommendation. If your vehicle is towed from the accident, the towing service may also be able to recommend someone. Never take your vehicle where the insurance company is trying to send you. Reasons why are found throughout this website.
5. After choosing a repair facility, notify the insurance company where the vehicle will be repaired.